(see instructions below)
Instructions to schedule boats through Google Calendar:
We have been using Google Calendar with a single account sign-on for the past several years to manage our boat reservations. Recently Google tightened the restrictions on signing in from multiple locations/devices for security reasons. If you encounter any problems signing into the ‘scrcreservations’ account, here are some options:
- If you already have a Google account (perhaps because you use Gmail), you are in luck. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will share the reservations calendar with you.
- If you do not have a Google account, you can sign up for one at no cost and without any obligation to use any of Google’s services. It takes about a minute. Go to calendar.google.com and sign up for a new account. In the bargain, you will get a Gmail account that you don’t have to use for anything other than forwarding that email address to email@example.com to be added to the reservations calendar.
- When you request to have the calendar shared, you will receive an invitation back to your Gmail account. Accept the invitation. Go to calendar.google.com, in the left-hand pane under My Calendars you will see the reservations calendar. You can now view and add boat reservations per the instructions below.
- If that all seems like too much effort, send your reservation requests here: firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be added to the calendar. This is a temporary measure while we explore other solutions. Thanks for your patience.
- Login to Google Calendar with the user name ‘scrcreservations’
- The password was sent out in a club emailing. If you do not have it, request it by sending an email request here
- Once logged in:
- On the calendar grid, click on the date and time for when you would like to reserve a boat
- Under “What”:
- Specify your name or group’s name
- Identify the boat you would like to reserve (see “Tips for identifying boats” below)
- For example, “Men’s Masters – White Hudson 8+”
- If this is a one time reservation, click “Create event” and you are done
- If this is a recurring reservation, click “Edit event”
- Select the date range desired
- Check “Repeat…”
- Set the day/time frequency for when your reservation should repeat
- Click “Save” and you are done
- Confirm that your reservation is visible to others by displaying the calendar at http://www.swancreekrowing.com/team-boat-schedule/
Note: if you are unfamiliar with adding events to Google calendar, or need assistance, send an email and I’ll walk you through it.
Rules governing reservations:
- If you made a reservation that you no longer need, please remember to delete your reservation so that others may use the equipment.
- If there is no reservation, the equipment will be used on a first-come-first-served basis.
- If you do not show up within 15 minutes of your reservation start time, your reservation is forfeit and others may use the equipment.
- Only team boats (i.e., doubles thru eights) and coaching launches are reserved. Singles are on a first-come-first-served basis.
Tips for reservations:
- Check the calendar before showing up to row to ensure the boat you are expecting to row is not reserved.
- Please be careful when updating the calendar that you do not accidentally (or intentionally!) modify others’ reservations.
Tips for identifying boats:
- Identify the boat as specifically as possible. If it does not have a name on the bow (e.g., “Nell Lewis”), use a combination of color + make + boat type, e.g., White Hudson 8+, or Blue Vespoli 2x.
- Boat types should be:
Eight = 8+
Coxed or straight Four (sweep) = 4+/-
Quad (sculling) = 4x
Double (sculling) or pair (sweep) = 2x/-
- Please list specific boats, e.g., White Sykes 4+. “two more fours” and “a double” are too vague. Assume that your reservations will not be respected unless the boats are unambiguously identified.